Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Pulitzer Project

Finished The Grapes of Wrath this afternoon. Wow. Drew was right; it's fabulous. What a finish! Skip it if you want, but it's wonderful. Can't quite bring myself to reshelve it.

Here's a progress report on my start through the Pulitzer prize winners for fiction/novels:

Stuff I Liked:
The Bridge of San Luis Rey, by Thornton Wilder
The Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck
To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
A Confederacy of Dunces, by John Kennedy Toole
Lonesome Dove, by Larry McMurtry
Breathing Lessons, by Anne Tyler
The Shipping News, by Annie Proulx

Stuff that Sucked:
Beloved, by Toni Morrison
The Known World, by Edward P. Jones

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Believe I'll read The Grapes of Wrath next. I've never heard it described as wonderful. Ma

1:15 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

I'm still eager to read *The Known World*. I'm still having problems looking at *Grapes*, too.

3:49 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

YOU LIKED *CONFEDERACY OF DUNCES*????

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on, give _Dunces_ its due: _A Confederacy of Dunces_ is among the funniest books ever written. What's not to like about it? To *adore*, even? To regale? To herlad! To laud! Honor! Cherish!

6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahem. I might have gotten a bit carried away. Sorry. What I meant to say was that I liked the book. -Nate

6:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For what it's worth, I also liked A Confederacy of Dunces. Ditto The Grapes of Wrath. - Ted

4:47 AM  
Blogger ben said...

I thought it was funny...A Confederacy of Dunces I mean. Not The Grapes of Wrath.

Farts are funny too.

5:19 AM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

It's hard to give a book its due when you have to read it AND write a paper on it in a week's time, along with teaching your classes and raising a family. Maybe one day I'll reread it and really enjoy it.

Did you know the author committed suicide because no one would publish it? His mom got it published posthumously and it won the Pulitzer.

Sorry. Librarian tidbit.

10:12 PM  
Blogger ben said...

Yeah, I read that in the introduction. It's a funny book. In my mind, Ignatius had the voice of Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons. Don't know why.

5:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home