Saturday, March 12, 2005

What a Ride

Here I am still at the hospital. We got here Wednesday night and now it's Saturday and maybe we'll get to go home tomorrow. Ruthie did a fantastic job with the natural delivery very early Thursday morning and we thought we'd have nothing but bragging to do -- even her doctor was impressed with how well it went -- she only pushed for 15 - 20 minutes. So we called everyone and said that everything was fine and we'd be home e're long.

Shortly thereafter, though, she developed the hematoma (sp?) from hell and things got ugly. A hematoma, as I understand it, is a monstrous kind of a bruise, which creates a kind of pressure that is extremely uncomfortable. This particular one is apparently the kind of thing we should tell the Guinness people about and Ruthie has become a kind of legend in this wing of the hospital and among the doctors in the practice she goes to. This is not a good thing.

My tough-as-nails wife, who'd just handled natural childbirth like a gladiator, spent four hours alternately sobbing and screaming down the hallway and what should have been the best day of my life turned into one of the worst. There's not a more maddening feeling than seeing the person you love most in the world in that kind of pain and being powerless to help. I try not to think about it now that it's behind us.

They gave her some Darvoset (sp?) and then, when that didn't work, some Perkoset (sp?) on top of that and when that didn't work some Morphine, which just took the edge off the pain, before finally, and ironically, giving her an epidural, which made Everything okay.

My sister hannaH showed up Thursday morning (I think it was thursday) just in time to keep me from unraveling and things have been looking up ever since. They took the epidural out this morning (I think today is Saturday) as the swelling is going down and will replace it with morphine for a while, which ought to suffice. As long as we can avoid infection she's in good shape. Feel free to pop in for a visit.

By the way, we now have a son. Truth is, this thing with Ruthie has been so at the forefront that I haven't had time to give any emotional time/energy to the fact that I'm the father of a son. (He is pretty cool though -- we like him).

To make a horriffically long story shorter than it deserves to be, Gehrig is healthy, Ruthie will be soon and I may never recover. I'll take it.

P.S. I tried to post a blog entry via e-mail on Thursday and it still hasn't hit yet. When it does, it won't reflect much of what's gone on, but will be dated several days after the fact, so don't be confused.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Gill said...

wow. we love you guys. and,we're praying for you.

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home