Saturday, April 16, 2005

Nicole and my new Magnet

So Jack left a magnet for me in my drawer at work -- one of those ribbon shaped magnets. You've seen them, (surely Cincinnati isn't the only place where there so very ubiquitous,) originally they were yellow and had to do with "Supporting Our Troops," but since then I've seen them for all kind of stuff -- breast cancer, save the manatees, gay pride, let's bomb some brown people, happiness is being a family, God likes our flag better than yours -- you name it. I think they cost around $4, and if that's the case someone is getting seriously wealthy because they're everywhere. Some cars even have mulitple versions -- four and five of these things lined up across their trunks like little soldiers. And they're just magnets; I wondered for a long time what kept people from stealing them until it dawned on me that since everyone in the world has one, there's no need. Everyone but us, that is. Until this week.

The one that Jack left for me says, "Remembering Lou Gehrig -- 4 -- Beal ALS." Jack's wife, (and our friend,) Janet is living with ALS, better known as Lou Gehrig's disease, and we just named our firstborn after the guy, and this particular magnet I'd never seen before, so I like it. Ruthie's already filched it for her own car.

Anyway, I open my drawer at work the other day and discover this magnet and am showing it to my friend Andy and Nicole happens to be there. She's probably 21 years old and is a sweet girl. She looks at this thing and says, "Who's Louie Gering?" And I say, "Really Nicole? Do you not know who Lou Gehrig was?" And I get a blank stare, so I give her the short version -- greatest first baseman of all time, the Streak, all around good guy, played with the Babe, (she'd heard of him,) contracted the disease that bears his name, (what were the odds?). And all the while she's giving me this bewildered look like she's trying to figure something out. Finally Andy pipes up and says, "Hey, didn't you just name your kid after him?" knowing that we had. And Nicole says, relieved, "That's why that name sounds familiar!"

That's messed up.

9 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Gill said...

well, she does live in cincinnati, so you've got to cut her some slack. how many of the greatest ball players of all time can she possibly have heard of?

7:51 AM  
Blogger ben said...

Yeah, none of them have ever played here. :)

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember when Cincinnati had
some players considered pretty
good, if not great. We listened
to games (yes, on the radio) with
much enjoyment.
Nana

6:54 PM  
Blogger ben said...

There's not much better on a summer evening than then Reds on the radio.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Andrew Gill said...

my father in law loves to talk about taking the train with his dad and brother to watch the reds play back in the day. i can't remember the name of the old stadium there...crosby field, something like that?
anyway, yeah, the reds have had their share of great ones?
favorites?
mine is probably joe morgan. i used to love the way he pumped that elbow before swinging the bat. what was that about?

7:15 AM  
Blogger ben said...

Crosley Field -- they built Great American Ballpark to be a bit reminiscent (sp?) of Crosly. Unfortunatley, they built it out of Legos or something. PNC is still the best I've seen -- just perfect. Now if they could get a Major League team to fill the home dugout...

For my money, Joe Morgan was the greatest second baseman of all time. Ruthie would argue for Eddie Collins, but she'd be wrong.

My all time favorite Red? Hmm...Maybe Frank Robinson?

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And what about Pete Rose (hornet's
nest?) He's kinda like some past
presidents - personal life isn't
the same as professional performance. I just remember he
gave fans a good time. Nana

8:59 AM  
Blogger jacksonjive said...

hey..let's give it up for johnny bench...I toppled 10 rows down from the top of the stadium in cincinnati during one of his homeruns...I was three at the time..bench had just hit a homerun and in the excitement I was thrown:)

check out his stats..won both the gehrig and ruth award...

of course I'm partial to catchers...ask andrew..who is my favorite yankee these days:)

Hall of Fame Inductee - 1989
BBWAA N.L. Rookie of the Year - 1968
The Sporting News Rookie of the Year - 1968
The Sporting News Player of the Year - 1970
National League MVP 1970, 1972
Golden Glove Winner 1968-1977 (10 years)
All-Star Selection 1969-1980
The Sid Mercer Memorial Award - 1970
The Lou Gehrig Memorial Award - 1975
World Series Babe Ruth Award - 1976
The Fred Hutchinson Memorial Award - 1981
!

10:46 AM  
Blogger ben said...

Denise, catchers are my guys too! Started with Lance Parrish back in the day...

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home