Thursday, May 19, 2005

Had Coffee with Tom Powell a Couple Weeks Ago

Tom's one of those people...

"One of which people?" you'll no doubt want to know.

You know, one of those people who won't let you be satisfied with a superficial conversation -- with what Ruthie and I call a "non-conversation."

Not that I'm tempted.

Or that he does it intentionally.

There's just something about him that makes you want to gush all the crap -- and I mean the personal stuff -- that you're normally too self-conscious to gush.

And he seems to want to hear it.

As if he's interested.

In you.

Not in selling you something, or in persuading you to be someone else.

Or in using any of the topics you've brought up as points of entry to talk about himself.

And when I say, (after an hour,) "Dude, why can't I shut up talking about myself?" and feel rude for having just now noticed it, he says, "No -- I like it."

And he means it.

Because he loves people.

I'm a people.

Ben.

So after I've burdened (but apparently not really) him with the long version of most of my current hang-ups about the Church/Christians/Christendom/Evangelicalism/Whatever...

(Tom's church people, but apparently not really)

...we end up, as any such conversation involving me must -- especially in the light of the Wonton having shown up -- talking about me and my dad.

Mleh.

And as a new father, my punchline to this whole long conversation with Tom Powell is,

"I really need this kid to know I love him."

And I'm misting up a bit, which Tom has the grace not to mention.

And he grins, (which helps more than you 'd expect,) and says,

"You don't need this kid to know you love him,

"You need to love this kid."

And I believe him,

Because he's one of those people.

gracias hermano. dios te bendiga

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home