Monday, July 11, 2005

Gotta Go to Work

There's not much time for this before I need to be off to work, but yesterday I went back to the church in Price Hill to talk to them. I sat down a couple weeks ago to start on what I planned to say, but thought I'd toss off a quick blog entry that had been rattling around in my head for days before I started on the "talk." What I ended up with was a 1700 word blog entry (see "Resurrection," June 21,) that, with a little attention, seemed as worthwhile for a Sunday as anything else I was likely to come up with, so I went with it. It was a departure from the kind of thing I'd been doing for them, but I doubt that very many people noticed that.

Got in and out as quickly as I could, though there were some people there whom it was good to see. Mostly it's just awkward. I did get to sit by Tom & Kerri though -- I like them.

Even apart from the church thing it was a busy weekend. Maybe I'll get around to blogging about it.

2 Comments:

Blogger ben said...

And interestingly, I only knew one of the songs. Didn't realize I'd been out that long.

3:26 PM  
Blogger ben said...

It's not a dumb question -- I know that kind of experience is one of your least favorite things in the world.

For me, it wasn't any more awkward not knowing the songs that it would have been to sit there while they sang songs I knew. It almost felt like a sign of progress to realize that I've been out long enough to miss a couple trips through the Hot List.

It was also an interesting perspective -- I was able to identify with the proverbial Visitor in a way I never had before (though they did let me get up and talk uninterrupted for fifteen minutes, so the comparison breaks down). The whole Sunday-go-to-meeting phenomenon is weirder & more foreign to me than ever before.

I don't miss it.

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home