Saturday, July 01, 2006

I've Lost It

I'm watching Sesame Street again after a hiatus of better than 25 years. They didn't have Elmo when I was a kid and I haven't been a fan for all these years in between, but that little fella's won me over and yesterday sealed the deal. He and Andrea Bocelli (who happens to be a big soccer fan) singing a reworked version of "Time to Say Goodbye" reworked to be about how "it's time to say goodnight," but "Elmo isn't tired." Maybe you had to be there, but I'm glad I was.

Speaking of Glad I Was There, thanks Warren and Julie for the tix to last night's Reds game. Down five in the first. Down three in the bottom of the ninth. Two out. Dunn's up, so I go ahead and mark the big capital K on my score card, stand with everyone else, gather up my stuff to leave (which consists of moving my sunglasses from the cup holder in the seat in front of me to the front pocket of my short pants) and start thinking about traffic. Had he been up with no one on and the team down three (or up eight) I might have expected a homer, but he's batting something like a buck-fifty with RISP, leading the league in strikeouts and solo taters and has become about as predictable in this kind of situation as Reggie Sanders was when he was here. And then he pounds a ball over the bullpen in right that gets out as fast as I've ever seen a ball get out (and I've seen Sheffield). Place went nuts, team bunched up and waited at the plate for our Big Donkey to cirlce the bases. Fireworks. And me with some erasing to do. Perfect.

1 Comments:

Blogger ben said...

Knew when I wrote that that you'd say something.

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home