Saturday, March 20, 2004

Na Na Na Na Na Na Na

We'd never been to Columbus, so we didn't realize that they were playing Tournament games right across the street from Promowest Pavilion where the concert was. As we stood in line on the sidewalk waiting for the doors to open I wondered if I'd be distracted enough during the concert to wonder all night how the Cards were doing. Should've known better. While I did worry about them from time to time (and appropriately so, as they ended up losing to Xavier) nothing could have distracted me for very long from What Was Going On. This was our second Indigo Girls show and if you've never seen them (or--gasp!--don't appreciate them) you can't imagine what their whole concert scene is like.

Promowest only holds about three thousand people which makes for a nice, intimate group of friends. The fact that the majority of these particular friends were lesbians wasn't as much a distraction as it was Part of the Atmosphere. In fact two of our new friends, Jolly and Amber, who were most certainly Together, even commented on how apparent the whole thing was, and seemed way more grossed out than Ruthie and I were by the couple in front of us who spent the whole time behaving in ways that in the Before Times I blamed on testosterone. I think that maybe the reason the crowd last night was so overtly Who They Were at that concert is that a setting like that is one of the rare places where they're safe. I'm trying to not be such a fatass so I don't allow myself to eat lots of burgers and fries, which I adore. Consequently, when I do allow myself to have a hamburger I have like fifty of them. Maybe it's like that for these women. Maybe I'm talking out of my ass.

Getting to know Jolly and Amber was fun--it was nice to have someone to talk to and sit with. We liked them. They were nice. Jolly works for a University and Amber is working on her Master's degree in physics. They'd just been to D.C. on a little mini-vacation. We also discovered that Jolly had been at the Indigo Girls concert that Ruthie and I had caught in Dayton last year. We waited in line with them a long time and talked and then we sat with them and talked more while we waited for the show to start. Then we talked through Shawn Mullins (except for "Rockabye") and then we soaked in the Girls together. In another life I might have been tempted to pat myself on the back for my tolerance and refer to these ladies as "My New Lesbian Friends." Instead though I call them "My New Friends" and I am aware that love is love whether or not I point out to anyone that it's done in the name of Jesus, and I‘m tempted to pat myself on the back for seeing not Lesbians, but People (and nice ones at that). I was very Grateful, when Jolly asked my what I did for a living, that I could answer her with something that wouldn’t create in her presuppositions that would have killed our friendship before it got started.

The concert itself was, of course, wonderful. For the first time in my life I was In The Same Room As Emily (the previous concert having been out of doors) and I was duly awestruck. They played a bit more of the edgy, electric stuff than I'd have preferred and did neither "The Wood Song," " Watershed," nor "Ghost," but they sounded great and the new stuff is fun. I can't imagine what it must feel like to step away from your microphone mid-song and have three thousand of your closest friends carry on with out you, word-for-word, pitch-for-pitch. (Indigo Girls fans can sing!) Sitting there between The Best Wife Anyone Ever Had and My New Friends, working on a Merlot (why can you never get a Cabernet at these things?!) watching Amy and Emily grin at each other while a Great Multitude finished "Least Complicated" for them--It doesn’t get much better.

If only the Cards had won…

In case anyone’s interested, here’s the set they played:

Tether
Fill it Up Again
Tried to be True
Power of Two (during which I called Justin)
Perfect World
Something Real
Shame on You
Get out the Map
Heartache for Everyone
Least Complicated
Ozilline
Free in You
Go (during which I took a leak)
Collecting You
Dairy Queen
All That We Let In
Yield
Closer to Fine
Kid Fears
(encores)
Trouble
Galileo

(Yes, I take notes at concerts.)

Peace, love and incredibly tight vocal harmonies,
ben




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home