Monday, May 10, 2004

Yesterday

Had a wonderful day yesterday. By about eleven AM my house was well-populated with people I like. We had breakfast together, talked and ended up out on the front lawn under a beautiful sky reading from John's gospel together. I have to admit, it's getting better. A little better all the time.

After that Ruthie and I were off to the ballpark to watch the Reds. Who am I kidding, we were there to watch The Greatest Player of (at least) Our Generation. The Giants won't be back in town this year (barring some fluke playoff series) and we didn't want to miss what might have been our last chance to see him again. Our seats were about thirty feet behind third base, close to the field, and it was impressive just to watch him trot out to his position in left field. He didn't hit any out, but he did score twice, including the winning run in the 10th (having been intentionally walked leading off the inning). I've seen footage of oldtimers remembering what it was like to watch Babe Ruth and Gehrig and Jimmie Foxx seventy years ago and it makes me wish I'd been there, so I paid extra hard attention to Bonds yesterday--if I live long enough for people to want to hear what he was like I want to have something intelligent to say. There'll be enough video of him left for posterity (where there wasn't with The Babe) that it won't be the same, but someday I'm going to be able to tell people, "I saw Barry Bonds play." (Incidentally, the same beautiful day that was so pleasant earlier in my front yard and that made for such a great day at the ballpark included lots of sunshine and Ruthie and I are now officially sunburnt. It hurts.)

We stopped by the Rock Bottom for a beer on the way home and then went home and smeared that green aloe gel stuff all over ourselves for a couple hours (which wasn't as much fun as it might sound like) until it was time for me to go to The Comet, which is always a good time.

Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home