Monday, June 28, 2004

Yesterday

Blabbered in the morning, then went to the Panegyri with some friends to whom I do a disservice whenever I limit & define our relationship by calling them "Tuesday people." Had a great time--thanks guys. Apart from the food there, two things in particular struck me this year. I'll make one of them an independent (and soon to follow) post to keep this one from getting too long, but the other (or are they the same?) is that sitting there at a table eating my Gyro, listening to live Greek music and watching traditional Greek dancing, I felt a little ripped off for having grown up so damned mid-western. What a lack of cultural identity.

After the Festival, Ruthie and I went home and continued to work our way through Band of Brothers for the second time and spent a little time with her parents who were in town for the weekend.

At eight O'clock last night I had to go into work and pack-down freight until two in the morning. It's physically harder work than I'm used to, but I didn't have to think very much or deal with nasty customers--just lots of sweat. Showered and in bed by 3 AM--slept in 'til ten.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben,

I wonder if your refusal to call the Tuesday group "church" (which I understand) doesn't contribute to the poverty of that word and our experience? Has the word become so unusable that we can no longer call the real thing what it is?

Ted

7:17 AM  
Blogger Andrew Gill said...

"amen" ted...ben, your current church is a beautiful thing from what you describe. please allow it to be what it is :)

1:14 PM  
Blogger ben said...

Ted, it has for me. Sad but true. I have a friend down here who has urged me to "redeem those words," but I'm not optimistic enough (or committed enough to any particular vocabulary) to endure a protracted attempt. To anyone who is, I say, "Rock on." The risk/reward ratio doesn't seem worth it to me.

Drew, you're right--it's the healthiest scene we've ever been a part of. Thanks for being so encouraging.

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home