Friday, December 17, 2004

Bookses

An update on my Pulitzer project since finishing Middlesex (see, "Book Report," September 9).

The Old Man and the Sea, by Ernest Hemingway -- Disappointing. I was bored. This may be because it followed Middlesex, but I was grateful it was so short.

A Death in the Family, by James Agee -- I can't exactly say I enjoyed it, but I was glad I read it. Pretty heavy, but beautiful.

The Caine Mutiny, by Herman Wouk -- See "Let's See," September, 29.

Empire Falls, by Richard Russo -- Loved it. Great story about Life with People.

The Good Earth, by Pearl S. Buck -- Not so much. I have a friend who loved it, but I didn't. Slow, dry and without a hint of humor.

The Color Purple, by Alice Walker -- Better than I expected, but not a favorite.

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, by Michael Chabon -- What can I say? It's fabulous. See "Shawn, if You're Ever..." November 26.

Currently wading through Margaret Mitchell's Gone With the Wind. I've hated the movie for years, but the book's alright. Incredibly long, but alright.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home