Monday, January 17, 2005

Per Justin's Suggestion:

(and subject to change on further reflection)

"Top Five Records Without Which My Life Wouldn't Have As Much Depth"
(again, in no particular order)

1. Over the Rhine's Ohio -- It was between this and Good Dog Bad Dog, and this one's longer. My introduction to one of the most satisfying one-way musical relationships in my life. Check these guys out. Thanks Michael.

2. Indigo Girls' Nomads-Indians-Saints -- How do you pick a single album? Again, this one came first and was so good that I went nearly ten years without buying another for fear of disappointment. Now I weep for those wasted years. Thanks Ted.

3. Led Zeppelin's Houses of the Holy -- What can I say? It's classic rock for a reason. Includes "The Rain Song," which is certain to show up on another list before before too long. Thanks Drew.

4. Miles Davis' Kind of Blue -- The best album ever by the Babe Ruth of trumpeters. Invest the the nine bucks, open a Cabernet and thank me later. They say it's the greatest jazz record of all time. Thanks Ron. (It just randomed-up on my laptop. Ah...)

5. Billy Joel's Glass Houses -- My very first taste of the rock and roll. I think I was eight years old. Yeah, it may sound a bit dated now, (I honestly can't tell,) but it's still rock and roll to me. Again, thanks Drew.

Debated an "Honorable Mention" category, but where does it end...

3 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Gill said...

You have the coolest blog, man...

OK, my top five records without which my life wouldn't have as much depth...
1) Pink Floyd "A Collection of Great Dance Songs." Your feet won't move, but your head will.
2) Led Zeppelin (iv) because it was my first.
3) James Taylor "Greatest Hits" because it starts with "Something in the Way she moves," our first song. It was cool when he opened his concert in Louisville with it in 1990 something. Denise and I were so excited!
4) U2 "Joshua Tree."
5) Bob Marley and the Wailers "Legend." "Three Little Birds." ah...

and, hey ben, isn't it cool that when we listened to "glass houses" it actually WAS a record? :)

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm....

(Also in no particular order)

1) Over the Rhine's Eve. My introduction was Till We Have Faces and Karen and Linford singing jazz at the Cricket lounge (you should hear Karen sing "My Funny Valentine") but Eve is damn near poetic perfection.

2) I would echo Ben's choice of Nomads-Indians-Saints, but I think I'll put in a plug for Become You. The Rhodes piano on "Moment of Forgiveness," the sax solo (not to mention the vocal harmonies) on "You Have to Show," and Emily's rhyme-scheme alchemy on "Deconstruction" -- I'll shut up now, but you get the idea.

3) Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. Every day in 1986.

4) Sting's Nothing Like the Sun. His latest is probably his best, but his cover of "Little Wing" (with Hiram Bullock on guitar) makes life worth living.

5) Bonnie Raitt's Nick of Time. There's a ballad on there with Herbie Hancock on piano. Need I go on?

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was me, btw, but you probably figured that out -- Ted

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home