Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Blogging Ellery

Sounds like a movie title, doesn't it?

So we rushed from Lyle and Angela's wedding rehearsal to Raymond Walters College to meet my friend Randy for the Ellery debut concert/CD release party. Randy beat us there. Holly and Travis were at the merchandise table; Laura and Rebecca were at the ticket taking table and inside the hall we what seemed like everyone else I'd ever met in my life.

Historically I'm not patient with openers, and was no different with Friday's warm up guy. Don't even remember his name. He was clearly a very good guitar player, and randy dug him alot, but I just wasn't into him.

Then Ellery started. And now I have to quit stalling and try to describe it. Emo Phillips once said that talking about music is like whistling about chickens and now I know what he meant. Except that these particular chickens are friends of ours, so I can't pretend that any of this is even remotely objective.

Random thoughts:

**Tasha's songs leave me -- literally -- sitting on the edge of my seat hugging my own elbows with my mouth hanging open and my skin all bumpy.

**They played "Inside My Head," and, while I'm sure it wasn't for me, I was grateful just the same. I love what Justin does vocally on that one.

**They had a killer band with them Friday and it was really, really cool.

**It's odd that our two friends have a name we can use for them collectively. Even in the paragraph above it was weird to call them something other than "Justin and Tasha." None of our other friends have a name like that. Perhaps we should work on that. And now I have a poster with them on it.

**The name change is a good one.

**For some reason, though I think they only played one song I hadn't heard before, the concert did indeed feel like a debut. This name change is more significant than a name change. (Or maybe it's exactly as significant as a name change.)

**In the four years or so that we've known these guys, they have -- if you'll pardon the cliche -- come a long way. Sitting there Friday, (and now looking back on it,) it's easy to imagine where this might/could go from here, and it's exciting. People ask me at work how big I think Ellery will be and I tell them that it's up to what they (J & T) decide they want. I kept thinking, "Really? We know someone this good?" I'm beginning to understand maybe how all those Norwood Over the Rhine people must feel at thier (ever so wonderful) concerts. This is lots of fun.

More later, maybe; this is hard.

You had to be there.

11 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Gill said...

what? no pics? :)

6:10 PM  
Blogger ben said...

That's nuts. He'd just left here and was on his way to Crossroads to practice for Friday night. Told that story at the concert. He gave her a CD.

9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

True story.

Justin
:-)

11:38 PM  
Blogger um... yeah... said...

and it was freakin hilarious.

12:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"This name change is more significant than a name change. (Or maybe it's exactly as significant as a name change.)"

Perfect.

5:25 AM  
Blogger um... yeah... said...

ted, why don't you join the bloggery?

10:19 PM  
Blogger Andrew Gill said...

OK, Justin, if you're reading this, we pre-ordered our cd...now WHERE IS IT!!? :)

9:43 AM  
Blogger Andrew Gill said...

just came in the mail. sweet. i can't wait to listen to it!

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm waiting until it becomes fashionable.

7:57 PM  
Blogger ben said...

/\

8:45 PM  
Blogger um... yeah... said...

if ben and ruthie and i have one, it HAS to be fashionable already. ha.

i'm listening to the subject of this post. fabuloso.

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home