Monday, May 02, 2005

I Like to Make Lists

We buy legal pads by the case.

My Current Baseball List

We've been talking alot at work lately about which five position players (no pitchers) have had the best Major League careers since 1984, which is when I date the beginning of my Baseball Awareness. (Yeah, I remember Bucky Dent's homer in '78, but I was six.) The first two are pretty obvious, my number three guy will surprise you if you haven't been paying attention, and we've got a fourth, but are arguing hotly over the fifth, (and could use some nominees if you've got any).

The Guidelines (yes, we're nerds):

**No pitchers
**We're only looking at guys who played the most significant portion of their careers after 1984, which is why guys like Mike Schmidt are out.
**Similarly, guys who haven't been around long enough to evaluate a lengthy career, (think Pujols and Ichiro, both of whom I adore) don't count.
**I don't care how a given career was engineered -- steroids aren't an issue for this particular excercise; just let it go for a minute.
**We're looking for greatness of career, not just who was the best on any given day. (This one will make sense if it comes up.)

I'm keeping our current Top Four to myself for the time being, so as not to pollute any input that may follow.


10 Comments:

Blogger ben said...

He's already on there bro -- good call. I miss you.

5:37 AM  
Blogger Andrew Gill said...

ok, i'm going to throw out my five, and see where/if they fall on your list:
barry bonds (gosh, my fingers hurt typing that)
cal ripken
ken griffey
tony gwynn
derek jeter (and, yes, i know he's not even been considered the best at his position throughout his career; but he's been the heart and soul of the yankees throughout their just finished dynasty period.)

6:18 AM  
Blogger ben said...

You've got two of mine and four of Matt's. My heart wants Jeter, but I just can't.

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm going with (in no particular order):

Eddie Van Halen
David Gilmour
Joe Walsh
Mark Knopfler
Randy Rhodes

I want to go with Clapton, but I feel like his success is too wrapped up in being a front man to really be able to evaluate him.

(Yes, I'm really that hopeless.)

7:58 PM  
Blogger ben said...

Rickey Henderson is my number two.

9:01 PM  
Blogger ben said...

Oh Ted...

9:01 PM  
Blogger ben said...

And Henderson's only number two because Bonds has been so incredible.

9:07 PM  
Blogger Andrew Gill said...

Ted, I like your list much better than mine.

5:42 AM  
Blogger Andrew Gill said...

so, when do we get to see your list, ben?

12:10 PM  
Blogger ben said...

Here goes (in order):

1. Barry Bonds
2. Rickey Henderson
(large gap)
3. Craig Biggio (yes, I'm serious)
4. Ken Griffey, Jr.
5. (still fighting it out for number five but leaning toward) Cal Ripken, Jr.

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home