Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Page Two

So then turn the page and there's my "100 Things About Me" pretty much the way it appeared here. Except that in the book there are notes woven through the draft, like this one sandwiched between 86 & 85 where I was trying to plan a trip to Pittsburgh to visit the Gills:

Pittsburgh: avoid 3/7 & 13 & 1st wknd in April

And this cluster between 54 & 53:

The Blind Lemon (good coffee)

No idea what any of that's about. And then, (not in my handwriting):

Playing the guitar sometimes feels like Jacob wrestling w/the angel...

I remember who wrote that and when and it reminds me that I've not picked up a guitar in over a year and, curiously, I don't miss it at all.
There's a note that's been lined-out:

Holly Friday 1/30 supper

Apparently Berno and I have always had a difficult time getting together. Then:

Welcome to the Symphony

A line from one of Cameron's songs that caught my attention that night at Rohs Street. Looks like I wrote some of my List during that concert. (For the record, the song's called "Bienvenidos," and I still like it.)

Between 48 & 47 is a quote -- something Pete Rose (see # 23) said on TV the night he admitted that he'd bet on baseball (as if we didn't all know that already):

Seats are for asses.

You're right Pete. Pull up a chair.

And then, between 42 & 41 we find the kind of stuff that may get downright interesting before we're done. Apparently my turn to "give a talk" was coming up, or something and I was stewing on something.

*Did Eve know that a lie was possible?

Lot -- Gen 19, Judges 19, 2 Peter 2:7

No idea what became of that, but the next thing on the page is a couple Scotch recommendations from Michael:

*Scotch: Laphroig (Le Froyg)
Lagavullin (Lag-a-voolin)

Never did follow up on that. I'm guessing that this was right about the same time as The Great Bourbon Experiment of 2004. Seemed like a nifty thing to have around the house -- nurse a couple fingers on the rocks in the evenings. Thing is, I didn't like it. (see #47) Tried for a while before giving up and surrendering what was left in the bottle to Cameron. He liked it.

"communication" is the new Sunday School word: "God," "Jesus," "Pray"

The Church does not exist to provide people w/a place to use their gifts.

Not sure what that first bit was about -- the "communication" thing --I'm sure it was brilliant at the time, but that second still sounds about right, though it illustrates how much my vocabulary has changed in the time since my escape from The Machine.

Next was a reminder to look for some "A Prairie Home Companion" tapes to listen to in the car -- mission accomplished. And then something that had to have been a response to something someone (I could guess who) had said or written:

What is overtly Christian?

Cue Peter Gabriel singing, "Here Comes the Flood." There's more about me in those four words than in the whole list of 100 things. If you've been around for it, you'll know what I mean. If you haven't, I could only explain what I mean in Realtime -- it'd take another two years.

Gotta go to work.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about the guitar!! You should know, though, that's it given voice to pretty much the bulk of New Songs that have been going on...
And I'm breaking it in a bit on the road, heh...

Justin
:-)

6:10 PM  
Blogger ben said...

Please don't apologize! I told you before I don't miss it. When you're coming home?

6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan A. from CCiPH here.
First, I must preemptively apologize for any typos as I have recently severed a digit on my right hand. My typing suffers from it.
I frequent your entries on occasion because I want to learn more about how you think. Having only gone to Price Hill since last year, I have only heard you speak on maybe three occasions. But they helped me to reexamine how I read the Bible (you and Jamie Smith's hermeneutics course). Since then, I have looked up just about every one of your past messages on the website and came to realize a lot about myself and how I have missed the point. I know you dislike the machine, but while you were involved with it, you helped me alot.

8:32 PM  
Blogger ben said...

Wow Dan, thanks. I heard about your finger -- sounds painful. What's the prognosis for your guitar playing ability?

8:57 PM  
Blogger Bartman said...

Even though I have lost touch with you over these last few years, I agree with Dan too. You always make me think (even with some of those things for your hundred things about you). Some things that you say make sence to me, and a lot of it blows right past me because I don't know you that well so I don't know where your coming from and I might be shallow sometimes I guess. I will say that you have been a huge influence on my life and I really think of you as a big brother even if I have not really got to talk to you that much anymore.

8:13 AM  
Blogger ben said...

Bart -- What days are you in town? Maybe we could grab lunch or something.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Bartman said...

I am in Monday through Thursday. Mondays and Wednesdays will be hard to have luch on, but Tuesdays and thursdays are really good. I have class from 8-12 on Tuesdays and 8-1 on thursdays. Ever since school started up I wanted to hang out with ya again.

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home