Tuesday, May 18, 2004

I Think I Have Blue-Brain

Something I’m noticing about my new job is that I have to think a lot while I’m doing it. That may sound odd, but the fact is that for years my job has required me to think only in brief, infrequent spurts. This made for lots of mental down time--while my body went about the physical business of RTV’ing things my mind was free to stew. If I stumbled onto a thought that seemed interesting enough to pursue or share with someone I’d stop, write it on a yellow Post-it Note, fold the note in half and put it in my pocket for later. I did most of my writing for Sundays like this-–I could cook on an idea for days, (sometimes weeks,) heap up a pile of Post-it Notes, and then sit down and, in one morning, regurgitate something coherent enough to fulfill my Sunday obligation--and most any blog entries that have been worth reading at least had their genesis during my time in the cage. This new setup may explain why I had so much trouble last month coming up with anything to say at church and why most of my recent bloggings have been so short. (Does size really matter?)

I’m not sure how all this will shake out. It may be that at some point I’ll have the new job down as thoroughly as I had the old one and I’ll once again be able to place my thoughts elsewhere while I work, but I doubt it-–the new gig is too needy people intensive. I’m eager for the new rhythm to emerge. I feel like there’s so much going on inside me lately that I just haven’t found the time to cultivate into something verbal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home