Sunday, November 13, 2005

Quick Catch-Up on My Reading List Since July

Harry Potter VI -- Loved it.

1776, by David McCollough -- Pulitzer winning birthday present from hannaH & Dale. McCollough's good. The American Revolution fascinates me. I remember reading this one while on the commode in a hotel in Toronto.

The Princess Bride, by S. Morgenstern -- Borrowed it from Laura. It's perfect. Read it while in Southern Illinios for my grandmother's funeral.

The Man Comes Around: The Spiritual Journey of Johnny Cash, by Dave Urbanski -- From Michael and I'm still not clear on whether it was a loan or for-keeps. Johnny Cash was cool.

The Fourth Hand, by John Irving -- Ah...here's the John Irving disappointment that was so inevitable. Just awful.

The Bridge of San Luis Rey, by Thornton Wilder -- Reread it in anticipation of the movie. Book's still great, the movie sucked.

The World According to Garp, by John Irving -- We've covered this one.

Lennon, by Ray Coleman -- One day when I was eight, my mom and I were in the car in the parking lot of the toy store and she said, "John Lennon got plugged last night." That's how I found out he'd been killed. I'll never forget it.

Me Talk Pretty One Day, by David Sedaris -- Didn't enjoy it as much as I did listening to Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim on cassette, but that's not a fair comparison. Sedaris is great.

Holidays on Ice, by David Sedaris -- Downright disappointing. A few of the essays were okay, a couple were terrible. I've come to expect better from him.

Next up: Independence Day, by Richard Ford -- Back to the Pulitzer Project. Haven't read one from my list since May (Martin Dressler). Started Robert Penn Warren's All the King's Men back in the summer and never got into it. Hope this one's better.

G'night.

P.S. My computer thinks Blogger's spell-check is an unauthorized cookie. Any suggestions? (And don't say proof-reading.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Gill said...

i have the same problem, so can't help ya. sorry. by the way, how do you do that cool thing with links?

3:00 PM  
Blogger ben said...

Highlight the text you want to make into a link and then click on the button up between "text color" and "align left." ought to be pretty self-explanitory from there.

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home