Saturday, April 01, 2006

This is Fun

This morning I've slept in, blogged for real, made, eaten and cleaned up a hella good breakfast, emptied, vac'd up and refilled the cat box (I think Ruthie gets pregnant so she won't have to change the litter) read some of my John Adams book and I still seem to have some time.

A little more then from my little book:

The name of a Beck record I never bought: "Sea Change." I don't know him well enough to know if I like him, but I dug the song "Lost Cause" a lot.

Some scribbled directions to the place in Columbus where we last saw Indigo Girls. It was a great show and a great trip. Made some friends. Been two years since we've seen the Girls and that's not cool. This is also where I jotted the songs as they played them.

It's also when this happened. I ran into Scott a couple months ago and we had a beer. I reminded him about this conversation -- quoted it to him verbatim. Scott didn't remember it, but said, "He does mumble!"

Then the name of a restaurant (Andy's Mediterranean Grille) I've come to dig very much (thanks Randy) and where I was first introduced to the hookah. A

An album that Michael recommended that Van Morrison did with the Chieftans and which I still have not checked out. It's gotta be good -- Michael's never wasted my time. And a poem which I almost remember having copied out of a book one night at the Comet -- likely the same night we talked about that Van Morrison record.

"Beyond Lip Service"

The pathos of faces
in the subway, eyes
that stay down

could cause a revolution
in your blood
if you could learn
to love the first one.

--Jonathan Greene

And then the numbers of twelve baseball cards I'd like to have. '84 Tigers mostly. Every five years or so I buy a bunch of baseball cards. I like them. Gehrig's in this phase where he likes to play with credit cards and ticket stubs and stuff like that, so I laminated him a bunch of baseball cards. I like that my kid will know about Jackie Robinson so early in his Life.

A quote from my wife the Sunday morning she came home from the gym and announced, "I think I like yoga better than church."

And one from Michael: "A prayer is a toast without a drink."

Yet another music recommendation I've not followed up on: Katie Melua's "Call off the Search" Don't know who that one came from. And a title that's either a book or a record: Jaime Cullum -- "Twentysomething."

Then another one of those song lyrics that I like to quote to myself:

"Love when you can, cry when you have to."

Fogelberg that one.

Directions and phone numbers for long-forgotten destinations.

A title David recommended -- "Mass Appeal"

A line I liked, but don't remember where from: "The stillness of a thousand moons"

The name of a bar I saw: "The Wet Spot"

And I've written "Andy's Mediterranean Grille" again.

Then my mom's e-mail address.

Something that may have come from a talk I heard my dad give:

cross vs. tomb
Palm Sunday vs. Easter
altar vs. table

I bet it did -- that's my dad's language.

And then a recommendation I actually pursued (and dug):

The Road to Perdition

Seen it? It's probably worth your time. (And I was appalled that Paul Newman wasn't nominated for Best Supporting Actor -- he's incredible here.)

A couple phone numbers coupled with a couple names of people whose identities are a total mystery to me now. I guess I could call the numbers...yeah, that's gonna happen.

A biography title:

Truman by David McCullough

I'm reading his John Adams currently. At this rate I'll be lucky to get to Harry Truman (#33) before my dotage.

Then there's some scribbling regarding whatever was wrong with whichever of our vehicles was currently at Dent Service Center. I hate cars.

3 Comments:

Blogger theinferno said...

the katie melua "call off the search" thing was from me. i'll bring over the record next time i see you.

11:03 PM  
Blogger dana said...

Jaime Cullum--he's a musician and twentysomething is the title of one of his albums. are we still allowed to say albums? i had a dream last night that a friend was recording on an album (the real deal). weird. anyhow, i didn't recommend him, (and was actually wondering who gave me the introduction) but I think he's worth checking out. i've only heard a few songs so far. damn, this is long.

one more thing, i'm glad you blogged. :)

12:38 PM  
Blogger ben said...

Records, albums...whatever.

My word verification word is "cwlgywdp."

Someone define "word" for me again?

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home